Each summer Shiel Sexton is proud to provide real life work experiences to college students interested in the field of construction. Not to mention they earn a little pay for their time! This summer we had three exceptional interns at the office, and we asked them to reflect on their experiences and plans for the future.
If you happen to stop by our office in the next couple of weeks, be sure to say hi to Carson, Leo and Nathalie!
Carson Talbert, a Senior studying Construction Management at East Carolina University. This is Carson’s second internship with Shiel Sexton.
- What do you hope to learn during your internship: I hope to gain a better understanding of construction processes.
- Why did you choose Construction Management as your major? I originally wanted to be an architect, but I also wanted a hands-on type of work. I like problem solving and working together to fix things. I see myself in the future as a Project Manager.
Leo Racedo, a Senior studying Construction Management at East Carolina University.
- What do you hope to learn during your internship: I hope to learn a little bit of everything, and also gain some valuable experience in the construction field.
- Why did you choose Construction Management as your major? I originally was focused on studying business management, but wanted something a little more broad. After working in residential construction, I realized I could focus on construction management.
Nathalie Altamirano, a rising 4th year student studying Art and Architecture at UNC Charlotte.
- What do you hope to learn during your internship: I really want to be onsite to understand the structure of buildings more, and learn to plan buildings out better. As I progress in my career, I’d like to bridge the gap between architects and contractors.
- Why did you choose Design as your major? I liked the idea of general design, so I can go into various design fields with this degree.
The Messenger Newsletter | August 2017 | Shiel Sexton Carolinas