On July 11, it was all about our interns in the Southeast as the Shiel Sexton team took summer interns, Davis and Jake, on a tour of our jobsites across the Charlotte region. This was an opportunity to see projects in various stages of construction as well as different construction types. The project tour included Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools CTE Automotive Garage at North Mecklenburg High School, Pike Nurseries, Project Jedi and 4429 South Boulevard, the new home to a branch of Charlotte Mecklenburg Libraries.
The interns received background information on the project and client prior to arriving on site. Once on site, the superintendent led a discussion about the activity happening and what the upcoming work included. The superintendents and project team also discussed the importance of making decisions in the field and offered a few first-hand examples.
Click links below to follow the interns at the job sites they visited, including:
(1) CMS Auto Garage (2) Pike Nurseries (3) Lunch break! (4) Confidential Client and (5) 4429 South Blvd New Library
After a hot day touring jobs, the Shiel Sexton team enjoyed the sunset over BB&T Ballpark and cheered on the Charlotte Knights baseball team. Overall the day was a success. But the fun was not over for Davis and Jake. During the Southeast’s Regional Meeting, the interns had to present the top 10 things they have learned during their time at Shiel Sexton.
Top 10 Things Our Interns Learned This Summer:
- How to navigate Procore
- The importance of submittals and RFIs
- A clean jobsite = A productive jobsite
- The stress of running a bid
- The importance of business development and networking
- The importance of Owner/Architect/Contractor (OAC) meetings and communication
- Turns out Home Depot and Lowe’s will be your best friend
- How to use Bluebeam to do overlays
- The importance of documenting everything with photos
- If you want something done right, do it yourself.
The Messenger | September 2019 | More from this issue