After a lot of hard work from our dedicated project team, Seng-Liang Wang Hall has officially achieved LEED Gold Certification!
Shiel Sexton was the construction manager at risk and member of the development team on the construction of the $26 million public/private mix-use facility located at 516 Northwestern Avenue, across the street from Purdue University’s campus. The 150,000 SF hall is mostly occupied by the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) and features research labs, high tech complexes, as well as interactive conference and meeting rooms for faculty, staff and graduate students. The building also includes commercial and retail space available to lease to private businesses. This is one of many projects Shiel Sexton has successfully completed for Purdue Research Foundation.
Purdue University has long been working to create healthy, energy efficient buildings, trying to ensure interior common areas, classrooms and research spaces are environmentally responsible and functional. High-performance buildings, LEED certification and sustainable new construction are just some of the ways Purdue is addressing its green building goals.
Seng-Liang Wang Hall had many “green” features, including rain gardens. A rain garden is a depression in the ground that allows for water run-off to be deposited in the garden to help combat water pollution and at the same time grow an appealing garden. Other sustainable highlights included:
- Preferred parking spaces for low-emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles; included electric car charging station
- High-efficiency glazing types
- Low VOC materials; materials were extracted and manufactured within a 500-mile radius of the site
- Core and shell plumbing fixtures designed to reduce potable water usage indoors with low flow lavatories, water closets and waterless urinals
- Native and adaptable landscaping to eliminate need for constant irrigation on-site
- Reduced overhead lighting levels with occupancy sensors control for automatic shutoff
- Energy efficient heating and cooling systems
Congratulations to everyone on the team for bringing home the gold for Wang Hall.