Shiel Sexton’s very own Deb Stone is a member of Faithful Friends, a Komen Race for the Cure fundraising team, who is a contender to be No. 1 in their fundraising efforts this year. With monies raised, 75% of proceeds go to our community grants program that serves 21 Indiana counties. The remaining 25% funds global research grants seeking the causes, improved treatments and cures for breast cancer. Nearly $14 million has come back to Indiana in the form of research grants the past 11 years, and 14 are currently underway at Indiana University and Purdue University.
In 2013, Deb was the single top fundraiser overall, being able to turn in over $14,500 in donations to help in the fight to find a cure. For 2014, she set a fundraising goal of $10,000 and is currently at $12,065. She credits this to amazing people she has come to know throughout this process.
“Over the past six years, Shiel has supported Komen with employee volunteer time as well as donations. Fellow Shiel employees have always been a huge part of my fundraising base. That’s why I love working here, the people are amazing. Very generous and giving – and patient to put up with my insistent hounding for donations every year,” Deb says. “What SSC is doing is saving lives!”
With four more days before the Race this Saturday 4/12/14, there is still time to make your donation count. Please email Deb at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Be sure to check out the Indy Star link below for a Komen highlight. Page 5 features Deb and her fundraising team. It’s under the “Game On!” section, under “Faithful Friends.”